Note: If you would like to leave a comment, please click on the post title, scroll to the end, and click
"Post a Comment"

Country Mouse

I love mice. I think they are adorable, and if we could have pets in our apartment, I would definitely ask Ty if we could have one. (I also love bats, but that's another story...)




{ found here }


When I was little, I remember reading "City Mouse - Country Mouse." I liked the idea of switching things up, having a new perspective for awhile, trying on another life. But in the end, I always knew I was the country mouse. I wanted to be the city mouse, but I knew that really wasn't who I am. 

I've been thinking a lot about movement and energy. I love the energy that downtown in cities have; so much to see, so much to experience (so much to eat!). It's so upbeat and uplifting, but after awhile it seems to wear me out and make me tired. Not to mention the road rage I "might" experience while trying to navigate the traffic. This is when I remember that I am a country mouse, not a city mouse.

I like things to move at a slow, leisurely pace. My dream home is a cottage with an herb garden. My favorite music is happy hippie earth child folk music. I love walking around barefoot in comfortable clothes, making comfortable food, reading long books. All of this says "slow" to me. It says home, comfort, peaceful. It says, "quit worrying about everything and go fishing."

One of my favorite cowboy movies is "Crossfire Trail." And one of my favorite quotes from that movie is when one of the cowboys tells a younger one to "Slow down; take your time--you'll get a more harmonious outcome."

In case you are in need of a Country Mouse weekend, here's a few of my favorite ways to slow down:

  • A hot cup of tea
  • A warm bath with favorite bath salts or oils
  • Talking on the phone with someone who is already having a slow day, so they don't stress you out
  • An old movie
  • Listening to quiet music with eyes closed
  • Baking something warm and comforting (cookies, a cheesy casserole, stew)
  • A foot rub
  • Picking one spot that needs work and slowly going through it (a box that's been in the same spot for months, a closet, a catch-all drawer...)
  • Looking through pictures
  • Flipping through magazines
  • Reading a book
  • Attempting to sew/crochet

What do you do to slow down?

6 Responses so far.

  1. Ann says:

    I'm a country mouse indeed. And what we've done to slow down lately is vomit constantly. LOL. Not first on my list...

    have a good day, little country mouse. :)

  2. Jessie says:

    I am also a country mouse :) I took a long nap with my little one today to slow down :)

  3. Christine says:

    You're gross. That's all I have to say about your love of mice. :)

  4. LINDSAY says:

    I'm a country mouse, living in the city. But one day, I'll return to the countryside! Until then, I'll just go camping on the weekends :)

  5. Unknown says:

    I'm a conflicted mouse, LOL... I'm not a city mouse, but I sure do like air conditioning & indoor plumbing. ;) And I'm not real big on fleas. ;) My brain just needs the sunshine & space of the country - not the cramped, daylight-blocking buildings of the city.

    Slowing down:
    * I'm SO thankful for parks... just being outside helps so much! Sunlight & fresh air... stuff we don't readily come by in our little apt.! :)
    * Naps (infrequently)
    * Crocheting/knitting/folding laundry during the BBC Pride & Prejudice
    * Making cookies or something to take to someone. I just can't make too many, or they'll sit & go bad before I get them all delivered, LOL!

  6. Unknown says:

    Krista, you can bake me cookies if you want! :) Also, I found something I thought I had mailed to you AGES ago!! We are packing to move, so I will get it mailed soon!!

    Speaking of BBC--have you seen their Robin Hood series??? LOVE IT!!

Followers

Popular Posts